Thursday, May 15, 2008

From Philly to Chicago to Tokyo...

So... I made it safely to my hotel room, and from here I will let you know how this whole thing begins. (BTW: very proud of myself for the timely fashion in which I am posting this...)

Tuesday. I packed all day (heh...) and got little done. By 10 or 11 I was exhausted (that whole not sleeping thing is catching up with me, I guess) and not yet finished packing. I still had stuff in the dryer and the living room/dining room was a mess.

Despite that, I was actually tired and wanted to sleep. So I set an early alarm, laid down on the couch, and put Will & Grace on to fall asleep to. Rosario happened to comment on a suit that Karen was wearing and it reminded me that I had a suit in my closet that I wanted in my suitcase. I put it on my morning list and closed my eyes... but I couldn't get it out of my mind!

I finally decided to just get up and put it on top of my bags so I wouldn't worry about forgetting it. I went in my room. I turned on the light. I opened the closet and removed the suit. Something prompted me to look down. My gaze fell into the trashcan that I had emptied the day before. Inside was the mouse!!! You know the mouse... the one that fell on my head and has taken over my room so that I was unable to enjoy my last nights home in my own bed... Yeah... it was him.

I calmly exited my room and told my dad that I found the mouse. He had died. The mouse. Not my dad. My dad took my trashcan and dumped the bugger outside. Now, you'd think that would bring me peace. Maybe even convince me to find my sheets and make my bed so I could spend my last night in my room... But nooo... My stupid sympathetic heart... I was up all night (on the couch) picturing that poor mouse in the trashcan trying to get out. My dad and I thought we heard him frantically scratching at something the other day. I feel responsible for his death.

Wednesday. I was ready. Mom was ready. Dad was ready. So we left. I had to get makeup at Walgreens on the way, because Korean makeup is cakey and gross. I got it and came out. Mommy did that mommy thing and started asking me if I packed X, Y, and Z. The usual exasperated tone came out with a string of yeses followed by an, "Uh oh..." So we turned around and went home to grab some meds I had forgotten.

Made it to Philly Int'l Airport. Checked in. Waited a bit. Got a sandwhich. Waited some more. Boarded. Then found out we'd be waiting another 40 minutes... which put me dangerously close to the time tha tI had to catch a flight out of Chicago. I exited the plane just in time to hear my group get called to board the next plane. Luckily it was only a couple gates down.

Chicago to Japan was relatively uneventful for an 11-hour flight. The girl next to me had a terrible cough, so I drank OJ the whole flight. The girl behind me put her tray down and leaned forward on it to sleep the whole flight, so my seat had to remain in an upright position. The woman across the aisle had earrings that I think my mother would like. When I come home I'll see if I can figure out how to make them. They were made out of soda can tabs. 2 tabs per earring. They were cute. The flight attendants all seemed to be older vets, so they were mildly cranky and stood for nothing, but also super efficient.

I got off the plane in Japan. Went to International Connections and asked if any seats had opened on the flight that left for Seoul this evening. She said no. I through immigration. They took my fingerprints and I think a picture? There was a countdown and a flash. I went go to the baggage claim just in time to see my bags drop onto the carousel. A nice man helped me get a cart and put my stuff onto it. Despite numerous people telling me that airports didn't hold baggage over night anymore, I took my stuff to the Baggage Services counter and asked. So, my bags are being held at the airport. When I check in, I just show the people a sticker and my bags will get on my plane with me. I don't even have to carry them! Woot! I made my way through customs (quite easily since all I had with my was my carry on). I exited the building and made my way over to where the hotel shuttles wait just in time to see mine arrive.

On the highway going toward the hotel, I saw a really cool cicular building. I said, "Wow, what a neat building!" as I took out my camera. The man next to me said, "That's our hotel."



The lobby was BEAUTIFUL! If I wasn't so worried about not looking like a kid who didn't know what they were doing (since that was most definitely how I felt), I would have taken pictures there. Maybe I'll take some when I check out tomorrow.

My room is cool and clean and... well, quiet. I plan to take an hour nap when I finish this, then keep myself up until 9 or 10PM.











This one with the mirror was after my shower. As usual, the mirror fogged up, right? But by some magical force, there was a rectangular portion in the middle that didn't fog!

That's all for now. I mean, this was pretty impressive. Oh, and I'll edit those pics in later. After my nap. <3

4 comments:

champagne_dreams said...

"He had died. The mouse. Not my dad."

Hahaha, I love you. I'm so glad you got to Japan and into your room ok, and hope you get to Korea safe and sound! Fighting! :)

-Amanda (G)

Tori said...

You are hysterical without any sleep! Just wanted to let you know I have tons of soda can tabs for the earrings you want to make your mom when you get back! :) Hope the rest of your journey is good! Love you -miss you!

Lill said...

If your future blogs are anything like your last....I am hooked all summer!! Glad to hear you made it safely. I love you. Be careful.

Sorry to hear about the mouse.

Jerry Stiles said...

Hey watch that romantic stuff. This is a working summer vacation. Tell "E" I said hello and to take care of you. Have a great time and enjoy. LOVE you Daddy