Sunday, June 8, 2008

Long Time No See (one of the most used English phrases in Korea)

Okay, these pictures are kinda a mess. It's everything I've randomly seen and needed to take pictures of. The first 2 are because I recently had a conversation with Amanda Schwartz... wow, maybe not so recently... Anyway... I forgot to pack stockings and things to bring with me (yeah, Mom-- I know we bought a lot before I left, but I didn't pack anything). So I said, "No problem, I'll pick them up in the subway on the way." Amanda was confused by the idea of shops in the subway and I had trouble explaining. Here are some pics.



This is really yummy chicken from a place near inseon's house. The owner is really nice. He has a friendly smile and he gave us a free coke! 서비스~~!



This one is for Amanda Grah... I think you know what this is. It's right around the corner from my internship.


This is jjimdak. 찜닭. It's the stuff I ate with Inseon that one time and forgot to take a picture... he wouldn't let me ask someone else if I could take a picture of their food. Remember? This is it. I went again with one of his friends. His name is SeungHo. 승호. He's my favorite of Inseon's friends. Inseon had to stay at school late to study and I didn't want to eat alone, so I met up with him for dinner.


After dinner we met another one of his friends. HyoJong. 효종. His family name is Song. Like mine was. Last year I could not retain Korean names for the life of me. He is about my height. His nickname was Smurf. We made fun of him when we met this time because he was wearing blue and it was funny. (HyoJong, Elly, SeungHo). Then Raven came. I didn't get a pic.


We went to a board game cafe. Basically you pay a couple bucks to play games for awhile. It's fun. We played a game that was some hybrid of Uno and Jenga. It was fun. (SeungHo)


(Raven)


We played a monkey game. (Raven, Elly)


This is for Dana. You know.


Richard, from NYU was also adopted and is here for a year to teach English. He met another adoptee named Marcus. So, Richard, Marcus, Raven and I met to hang out. We ate dalkkalbi. It's funny because dalkkalbi is famous in the area that Raven's family lives in. Chunchon.


Marcus. Richard.


Elly. Raven.


We wear aprons because it splatters as it cooks. This is naengmyun. It's yummy. Cold noodles.



Everytime I eat at Red Mango, I miss Sophia.


Ah.... Another time I missed Sophia.... Inseon and I met up with Sophia's Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin. We switched my phone to Inseon's name so her aunt doesn't have to keep getting my bill. Then they took us to Pizza Hut. American food? lol. Yeah. I forgot to take pics first.




This is us. Eemobu ("uncle"). SooJung. Eemo ("aunt"). Elly. Inseon. [It's kinda like with Aunt Dar. She's not my aunt. But in order to promote the feeling of a close relationship "aunt" will do.]


For Dana again... you know. <3


ManwhaBang. 만화방. Comic Room. This is kinda like a library, but it's all comics. You pay by time. Inseon and I spent about 2 hours there for about 3 bucks. You can order ramen and coffee and other snack-y foods. It makes me think that Jarad would have really done okay if he had stayed in this country.



This is... er... okay. Picture a big big room with about 30 TVs, tons of couches and a PS2 for each TV. This is a place where people go to play video games. Another indicator that Jar would have been just fine... I'd say about 95% of the people here were playing Winning Eleven, a soccer game. You can play all kinds of different games, but this is most popular.



Before we went here, Inseon and I went to see Sex in the City. I felt like, "Okay, we did something really really girlie for awhile, I can survive this." He and his friends were going on their 3rd hour and I decided to take a walk... When we finally left, we went to the fish restaurant I have been craving since I left Korea in December... and it was closed! BC THE BOYS PLAYED FOR TOO LONG! Okay, I was bitter for about 23 minutes.

Yeah. That's what's been up.

Today is rainy. Inseon can't play soccer. Next week his finals start, so fun stops. This evening we're going to go to a jjimjilbang. Kinda like a super spa sauna thing. It's cool. Anyway, I'll explain later.

Love you!

3 comments:

Diller said...

Thank you for all the vichy product pictures! I'll show them at work tomorrow... but kind of surprised Vichy made it there before the brand I work for did... Also I got very upset b/c I was talking to a friend from Columbia and she said she went to some karaoke place in k-town and I yelled at her "You went to a Norebong (sp??)!!!" She was a bit shocked and then I explained to her what the place she went to would look like and that it was actually called a Norebong. Also, I made rice krispy treats for my mom's birthday yesterday all by myself!!! They were yummy but not as fun to make.

sophz said...

ooh i didn't know you met up w/ my family. did they give you a bag of cheetos?! because they should have. my mom bought some extra to send over for you.

and mann i miss those red mango bowls and spoons!! the red plastic spoons here just don't have the same effect.

i miss you mucho. time is going really fast for me (its already my 3rd week of work!), but it feels like you've been gone forever. <3

stiles4 said...

Hey Sweets,
Glad to see you are eating...LOL I love looking over your shoulder while you work and play so far from home. One of the best parts is putting a face to the names (and descriptions) of your friends!
Love you to Seoul and beyond!